Skip to main content

"LEFT ODORS"

It has been some time since my last post and I have no excuse.
Let's just say I am greatful for left-overs in my fridge. People generally either rely on left overs as a quick meal or snack which can be re-heated or re-created into something else or they abhor them as though they were straight from the previous nights trash.
My son is exactly the latter, but perhaps will change once he is a bachelor in college. My daughter in stark contrast lives by my leftovers, in fact sometimes I make a dish (i.e. killer steak chili, pesto pasta salad with sun dried tomatoes, etc.) just for it to hang out in the fridge for her. She will tell me quite bluntly if there are not enough plastic containers in the fridge.
When she was a little girl full of innocent mis-pronunciations like "ty-wrangle" for triangle, she would say she wanted "Left Odors", which I thought was pretty funny, because sometimes that is not far from the truth.
As my children age and become more independent, have thier own schedules and are not home for our family dinner every night, I understand even more a need for Left Over dishes, or else I may starve due to lack of desire to simply cook for myself, even if I am able to make exactly what I want the way I want it, it's hard to justify. I can only assume this ability and desire will come with time.
There is something to be said for the "hang-time" in the fridge in defense of Left Over Dishes. Why do we marinate (besides imparting intense flavor and breaking down tougher protiens)? Why does homemade soup always taste better the next day, along with a variety of other dishes like chili and cold pasta salads? I happen to love meatloaf and spaghetti sandwiches. Two slices of bread can transform a dish, so simple...I happen to be slightly biased with the bread however, a great sandwich is a blank canvas waiting for the hand of an artist. Open the fridge and get inspired, the worst thing that can happen is a not so great re-made dish, not a wasted first meal, and perhaps an improvement to one of your own signature family favorite dishes. Lets just leave the "ODORS" for the trash and take the "LEFT" to be creative.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Clear Ice

It’s Elementary-Right? Making a Perfectly Clear Ice Cube Image by Christian Bickle fingalo via Wikimedia Commons. Making ice is elementary right? The purely magical yet scientifically stable process of changing the state of matter is of course not new but still shape-shiftingly neat and we are still learning the basics, apparently. So how about making a perfectly clear ice cube? It sounds pretty basic, almost like a harmless junior high school science class experiment, right? Yet it's not exactly basic or harmless. In fact if you're thinking that you have certainly been able to make clear ice before now, it was quite likely a complete accident-just like all great scientific discoveries are made! Yet unless you are fully equipped with a lot of patience and endless free time with some assistance of using everyday household equipment -you too can achieve the pursuit of the perfect clear ice cube! Clearly it’s Just an Ice Cube 'Ice Harp' Photo By Gscmusic

Resolutions are for quitters

I have not quit.  A lot of people quit this time of year. I have started 2017 with ‘I’, thereby breaking my own ‘rules’right here.  While every great blog writer it seems has quit this year-my inkwell is still full of uncoagulated blood. I suppose this should mean more room in some invisible Blog-o-Sphere for me, but I am not in some ‘ great ’ category so it only means less inspiration for me (and admittedly a slimy sinking feeling that perhaps I am about to give up). Neverthemore, I am still sitting here typing away, writing things not read, acquiring more debt every waking moment, and stacking up the disappointment of those closest to me. Towering.  The main difference between working at invisible arts every single day and a low paying 'part-time' service job, aside from adding to my invaluable social security would include; precious time away from my (Frmr.) Stray Cat (Editor in Large)-resulting in a serious decline in his treat consumption, a total void of f

Forget Fireworks-The Biggest Volcanoes on Earth!

You’re absolutely right. We should all be very afraid that a large meteorite is headed on a collision course with Earth and will cause catastrophic damage not just to the blue planet, but to the human race as we know it.  Aren’t you glad you pulled all of your money out of the bank back in December 1999? You were one of the lucky few to suffer the inconvenient and non-existent effects of the Y2K crisis ! Photo By C. Heliker (US Geological Survey) [Public domain], via Wikimedia Commons Well, at least you’re paying attention to what’s going on around you.  You probably already know that at any point in time there are around 20 volcanoes erupting at any point in time, including those safely buried at the depths of our oceans shifting the plates of our Earth around.  For eons volcanoes have been a natural source of obsession for us little people around the globe; in spiritual offerings, as a photographers fanatical and fatal subject, for scientists, mountain climbers and es