Skip to main content

Broke and Hungry

There is something I have noticed about myself that seems quite primitive in nature. This has to happen to other people as well. Whenever I am low on funds, or put another way, completely broke, I get really hungry, thinking about food every minute, shopping the pantry and cupboards, and generally obsessing about food and the next meal. Logically it must have to do with a “Hunter Gatherer” mentality, looking at my cupboards and fridge become more barren, being able to see the back of the pantry and the shelves clearly in the fridge, as though I was watching my harvest become depleted with winter on its way.

Some days I cannot wait to get started on a complete day of cooking, which now has become as musical and methodical as I would imagine a “smooth working restaurant” to run, save for the limit of space and a dishwasher, oh, of course and a prep cook in my tiny little home.

The day begins as usual, making lunches and breakfasts before taxiing my kids to school. The first step to the prep work is to sterilize my glass jar bottles. Since making my first batch of homemade marinara sauce it has become perfected to my family’s tastes and subsequently, nothing else is truly “marinara sauce” in our recognition. When I did purchase the store bought jars, I would still tweak it a bit, adding my own ingredients such as red wine, mushrooms, splash of sugar, maybe some fresh herbs. This was fine, in fact wonderful to my family at the time, and became somewhat of a “special sauce” with the simple touches. We like the sauce to be chunky when adding the meat for serving, so you can see either the meatballs or ground beef, as well at the tomatoes and mushrooms (if added). So I start by washing and cutting up my veggies (baby carrots-which are sweeter than regular, celery, Vidalia onion and garlic) which are then finely cut in the food processor and sautéed until caramel and soft. I then add my bay leaves, tomatoes, tomato paste and other herbs, red wine, and let simmer for about an hour, stirring frequently and adjusting the seasonings as necessary. I have looked at so many simple recipes and as usual I adapt them to my palette. This is the most rewarding part of cooking for me, leading with my nose, following with my mouth and perfecting as necessary only to taste a beautiful reward for the attention given.

I have found that thinly sliced chicken breasts (found packaged in the grocery store) are a great deal sometimes, if not I will opt for the chicken tenders package instead. This chicken is great to have “on hand” in the fridge as is, for salads, soups, and makes a killer sandwich meat. I wash and pat dry the chicken and place on a foiled baking sheet with drizzles of Extra Virgin Olive Oil. Season with seasoned salt, pepper, fresh thyme, crushed garlic spread on each piece. Half of a lemon is cut into thin slices, the other half is squeezed on the chicken, followed by a couple of splashes of white wine of preference, and topped with the lemon slices. Bake in a preheated oven at 350 degrees for about 15 minutes, or until internal temperature is just less than 160 degrees and let cool. I store it in Tupperware with the lemons, juice from cooking on the baking sheet and it always stays moist, tender and flavorful. My daughter loves these chicken sandwiches and gets harassed at school by classmates that want half-a good sign! One day after my daughter came home from school she commented "I wish I could go back in time and eat that sandwich again," -I think we have all felt that way about something we've eaten. This chicken makes a simple sandwich into a gourmet one, and easy to throw together in the morning rush. That is also why I make soups often (today I am making Pasta e Fagoli, but of course adjusting the recipe I found, also a super easy lunch in a thermos for a cool day).
After starting the Marinara and getting the chicken in the oven, I notice I have three sad bananas wanting to be turned into something magnificent for their long journey from Ecuador (so says the Dole label), and I begin to make my Dessert Banana Cake which has some good coffee, walnuts, chocolate chips and ginger crumb topping. It is so moist in the middle it resembles a rich bread pudding. This is also used in my kid’s lunches which they love decadently. I bake it at 400 degrees for about 20 minutes and remove it to cool on the counter.
Since the oven is preheated and I notice I have a half batch of Chocolate Chip cookies to be made (with dark and milk chocolate, glazed walnuts and sometimes something else, like this batch had a Heath bar as well) I prep a new baking sheet with foil and start dropping my cookies, reducing the oven to 375 degrees. I am not sure how long exactly they take to cook, but for some reason my nose has a built in timer and I always know just when to pull them out, golden to perfection.

It is only afternoon and I will need to pick up my kids soon from school, after I begin prepping for dinner, which is actually quite easy this particular night, but tastes more elegant than an expensive restaurant order. I marinate T-Bone steaks in lemon, garlic, basil, thyme, oregano, Soy and Worcestershire sauces, and red wine vinegar for 2-3 hours in the fridge, then pick up my kids from school.
To accompany the steaks we will be have baked potatoes with all the “fixings”, which I bake in the oven for real bacon bits, chives, and sour cream. I will also serve some traditional French Onion soup with a couple slices of crusty Rosemary bread for dipping.
This particular dinner invoked the carnivore in my normally painfully proper son, who eats ribs with a fork and napkin. Normally he is a meticulous eater, and for the first time ever he picked up the bone with his hands and started gnawing all the little scraps and marrow he could possibly find. I did not object, but found it refreshing and a HUGE compliment to the steak and myself the cook.
We all slept very well that night, as red meat I have found puts us all in a state of sedation as much, if not more, than Thanksgiving turkey. I did not worry about my echoing cabinets or hollow fridge as I laid my head on the pillow. I had Banana Bread and cookies to look forward to, a killer chicken sandwich for lunch and 7 jars of Marinara sauce in the fridge. The only other thing waiting for me was a sink full of dishes and coupon clipping to do.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Clear Ice

It’s Elementary-Right? Making a Perfectly Clear Ice Cube Image by Christian Bickle fingalo via Wikimedia Commons. Making ice is elementary right? The purely magical yet scientifically stable process of changing the state of matter is of course not new but still shape-shiftingly neat and we are still learning the basics, apparently. So how about making a perfectly clear ice cube? It sounds pretty basic, almost like a harmless junior high school science class experiment, right? Yet it's not exactly basic or harmless. In fact if you're thinking that you have certainly been able to make clear ice before now, it was quite likely a complete accident-just like all great scientific discoveries are made! Yet unless you are fully equipped with a lot of patience and endless free time with some assistance of using everyday household equipment -you too can achieve the pursuit of the perfect clear ice cube! Clearly it’s Just an Ice Cube 'Ice Harp' Photo By Gscmusic

Resolutions are for quitters

I have not quit.  A lot of people quit this time of year. I have started 2017 with ‘I’, thereby breaking my own ‘rules’right here.  While every great blog writer it seems has quit this year-my inkwell is still full of uncoagulated blood. I suppose this should mean more room in some invisible Blog-o-Sphere for me, but I am not in some ‘ great ’ category so it only means less inspiration for me (and admittedly a slimy sinking feeling that perhaps I am about to give up). Neverthemore, I am still sitting here typing away, writing things not read, acquiring more debt every waking moment, and stacking up the disappointment of those closest to me. Towering.  The main difference between working at invisible arts every single day and a low paying 'part-time' service job, aside from adding to my invaluable social security would include; precious time away from my (Frmr.) Stray Cat (Editor in Large)-resulting in a serious decline in his treat consumption, a total void of f

Forget Fireworks-The Biggest Volcanoes on Earth!

You’re absolutely right. We should all be very afraid that a large meteorite is headed on a collision course with Earth and will cause catastrophic damage not just to the blue planet, but to the human race as we know it.  Aren’t you glad you pulled all of your money out of the bank back in December 1999? You were one of the lucky few to suffer the inconvenient and non-existent effects of the Y2K crisis ! Photo By C. Heliker (US Geological Survey) [Public domain], via Wikimedia Commons Well, at least you’re paying attention to what’s going on around you.  You probably already know that at any point in time there are around 20 volcanoes erupting at any point in time, including those safely buried at the depths of our oceans shifting the plates of our Earth around.  For eons volcanoes have been a natural source of obsession for us little people around the globe; in spiritual offerings, as a photographers fanatical and fatal subject, for scientists, mountain climbers and es