Skip to main content

Tea Time

As it is commonly said, “you are what you eat”, I wonder if such adage applies to what you drink? There certainly seems to be a stereotype when it comes to this subject that is generally accepted. When I was a cocktail waitress patrons were judged in the analyzing of tips and costs of drinks. If a customer ordered the “Happy Hour Special” or a mixed drink with well liquor, they were considered “cheap” by the staff and drinking to become intoxicated, getting the most “bang for the buck”, there were of course the regulars who ordered the “usual” flavor of choice, regardless of its location on the shelf (i.e. top shelf or well liquor). When I was bartending the orders that would come in were less about the tip and more about the preparation and ingredients of the drink ordered. Blended drinks, such as Margaritas, Pina Coladas and the like (which required pulling out the temperamental blender) were for “pain in the butt” customers that enjoyed the fruit more than the punch. Even in media circles it has been portrayed that “Men shall not order fruit mixed cocktail, or his sexuality shall be questioned”, which is plainly absurd! I’ve also commonly heard that “Fizzy yellow beer is for wussy’s”, but if anyone has been camping in the summer time, sometimes there is nothing more refreshing than a very light, fizzy beer.
While I certainly do not condone stereotypes in any manner, there does seem to be some truth to personality types and their drinks of choice. I started drinking coffee and espresso at a very young age and continued to do so thru most of my life. In my early thirties I “kicked” the habit, getting thru mornings with Orange Juice or a couple slices of pineapple to wake me up, now I drink energy drinks occasionally, and still every once a rainy day enjoy wrapping my hands around a steaming cup of warm Joe. I used to be one of those people that said ‘Don’t talk to me until I’ve had a sip of coffee’, now I am proud not to be mood controlled by a substance from the outset of my day.
Drinking Iced Tea with lemon reminds me of my Grandparents and their ranch when I was growing up. I was put to work during the summer and looked forward to a glass of sun brewed tea by the time the sun was directly overhead for a refreshing break. Teas have become quite popular in recent years and certainly more diverse for differing taste buds, homeopathic uses, and social conversations of preference (Japanese vs. English, etc.). My son loves tea, specifically Chiai’s, Traditional English Breakfast, some fruity black and tangy green teas. He is a methodical, predictable and healthy young man that gave up drinking soda on his own accord at age 9. My young daughter seems to bear more resemblance to myself in this regard, drooling at the smell of coffee brewing, preferably tasting it with lots of cream and sugar so it resembles toffee. They are so different in many ways of course.
In regards to the coffee and tea commodities and the ever rising standard of sustainable production of coffee beans and tea leaves it is amazing how tea’s image has changed over time in America. Without relenting on economic and environmental factors, it is of curiosity to me if there is a certain personality type that is consistent with ‘Tea Totelers’ and ‘Java Nuts’? In my home and community as well as in your local café I’m certain it is an issue to perpend upon.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Clear Ice

It’s Elementary-Right? Making a Perfectly Clear Ice Cube Image by Christian Bickle fingalo via Wikimedia Commons. Making ice is elementary right? The purely magical yet scientifically stable process of changing the state of matter is of course not new but still shape-shiftingly neat and we are still learning the basics, apparently. So how about making a perfectly clear ice cube? It sounds pretty basic, almost like a harmless junior high school science class experiment, right? Yet it's not exactly basic or harmless. In fact if you're thinking that you have certainly been able to make clear ice before now, it was quite likely a complete accident-just like all great scientific discoveries are made! Yet unless you are fully equipped with a lot of patience and endless free time with some assistance of using everyday household equipment -you too can achieve the pursuit of the perfect clear ice cube! Clearly it’s Just an Ice Cube 'Ice Harp' Photo By Gscmusic

Resolutions are for quitters

I have not quit.  A lot of people quit this time of year. I have started 2017 with ‘I’, thereby breaking my own ‘rules’right here.  While every great blog writer it seems has quit this year-my inkwell is still full of uncoagulated blood. I suppose this should mean more room in some invisible Blog-o-Sphere for me, but I am not in some ‘ great ’ category so it only means less inspiration for me (and admittedly a slimy sinking feeling that perhaps I am about to give up). Neverthemore, I am still sitting here typing away, writing things not read, acquiring more debt every waking moment, and stacking up the disappointment of those closest to me. Towering.  The main difference between working at invisible arts every single day and a low paying 'part-time' service job, aside from adding to my invaluable social security would include; precious time away from my (Frmr.) Stray Cat (Editor in Large)-resulting in a serious decline in his treat consumption, a total void of f

Forget Fireworks-The Biggest Volcanoes on Earth!

You’re absolutely right. We should all be very afraid that a large meteorite is headed on a collision course with Earth and will cause catastrophic damage not just to the blue planet, but to the human race as we know it.  Aren’t you glad you pulled all of your money out of the bank back in December 1999? You were one of the lucky few to suffer the inconvenient and non-existent effects of the Y2K crisis ! Photo By C. Heliker (US Geological Survey) [Public domain], via Wikimedia Commons Well, at least you’re paying attention to what’s going on around you.  You probably already know that at any point in time there are around 20 volcanoes erupting at any point in time, including those safely buried at the depths of our oceans shifting the plates of our Earth around.  For eons volcanoes have been a natural source of obsession for us little people around the globe; in spiritual offerings, as a photographers fanatical and fatal subject, for scientists, mountain climbers and es