Skip to main content

You can’t handle social media


The internet was supposed to make us smarter. Google thinks that’s one of Alphabets main jobs, or they advertise themselves as Information Providers anyway. It’s not working. We are either getting righteously naive or socially inept, or both. 
Way back in the early 2000’s, at the peak of my world wide connected optimism about this new democratic, humanitarian, freedom of information age, I taught my toddler how to ‘surf’ and ‘use a mouse’-now that terminology even dates him. On a positive note, he actually did turn out to be really smart. That may be because the chicken came before Google or if you asked the nurses at the hippie hospital he was born in, they would say it was the breastfeeding-but I have proof that’s not it. And that is just it-yes, I said it’s not it, but it is. The amount of misinformation that lingers and spreads, the lies that are let live-it’s not any better with the internet-or smart phones. Proof? Ok, my daughter. As though needed more to be said, still, I will expound slightly. She is a straight A student, a92nd nothing short of a witty confident budding genius. And yes, I know this. She was not breast fed either. She’s trying to learn guitar right now, but You Tube isn’t helping and she wants lessons-with a human.

I used to think smartphones would save relationships, prevent a ton of arguments and in general be little portable pocket purveyors of truth. Again, I was wrong. 
Simply the ability to “look it up” anywhere anytime and see who is ‘right’-and GPS-fah-getta-bout-it!I thought there would be no more arguing over asking for directions like my grandparents used to do. Wrong. My grandparents were also married for 60+ years unlike most marriages today which makes you wonder...

If course people still argue today. I would assert even more so. There is simply more in your face that has a chance of being offensive to someone in some way.   They used to say in radio-if you don’t like it change the channel-but people log into social media every day looking for a good old fight. They may not say they are, and do not accuse them (of anything)-dems fightin’ words, but what fun is a world where everyone agrees? Even on issues like cats versus dogs. Utopia? I think not. Serious folks, social media is a schizophrenics salon, a peeping tom’s paradise and apparently turning into an arguing arena behind anonymous avatars especially. There is just a lack of accountability. And an overwhelming wealth of opinion decorated with links as fact and much too much misinformation.  It reminds me of how much I miss Umberto Eco-or how we need a new version of him to collect and poke through and archive safetly all the digital erroneous information we have amassed in the ‘clouds’.  Just the other day a relative shared that Betty White had passed away. I’d seen that one before-she’s not dead, but my dear gullible kin nearly died of embarrassment. Jumping on guns (or first to share), or erratic ‘Enter’ -ing can be dangerous. That same day, another person I know shared a meme with some ‘fact’ about methane and seaweed farms- asserting that the world could be saved via this simple non-invasive marine methodological ‘science’-hmmpph! Hogwash. People should do their research or not claim to ‘know’ or share poor information. Sure, with the advent of Photoshop we have all slowly turned into skeptics, not to mention how many space trolls are fans of CGI, its underwhelming for intelligence on this planet! We get tricked all the time. We also react too quickly.


Today marks the 15th year since my grandfather, a veteran passed away. We were very close, he was my first death, I lost part of me that I’ve been re-growing ever since.  He and I did not agree on a lot of things. As I grew older we had many debates and long discussions to which I still think about-especially today.  Despite how passionate we were about our opinions, we respected each other first and a difference of opinion second and third, and equally important, we saw these conversations as progress, a chance to see the other side. This respect was once found even on the street everywhere in nearly every age-and not just between loving family members. The ability to have a respectful discourse is a thing of the past. Everyone’s opinion is supported by science-news-research-advertising-wait-where’s truth? Perhaps that’s seeping through the hole in the ozone.  Honestly, citizen scientists and professed ‘ecologists’ are opinionologists and moralologists who look in only one direction, the one that supports what they wish to find or show. Following science, taking in validated information, enjoying the liberal wealth of good writing, photography, art, and celebrating humanity are wonderful benefits of the most innovative internet tool mankind has put together yet. My grandfather would be in awe but likewise used to say, “A tool is only as good as the hands that use it”.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Clear Ice

It’s Elementary-Right? Making a Perfectly Clear Ice Cube Image by Christian Bickle fingalo via Wikimedia Commons. Making ice is elementary right? The purely magical yet scientifically stable process of changing the state of matter is of course not new but still shape-shiftingly neat and we are still learning the basics, apparently. So how about making a perfectly clear ice cube? It sounds pretty basic, almost like a harmless junior high school science class experiment, right? Yet it's not exactly basic or harmless. In fact if you're thinking that you have certainly been able to make clear ice before now, it was quite likely a complete accident-just like all great scientific discoveries are made! Yet unless you are fully equipped with a lot of patience and endless free time with some assistance of using everyday household equipment -you too can achieve the pursuit of the perfect clear ice cube! Clearly it’s Just an Ice Cube 'Ice Harp' Photo By Gscmusic

Resolutions are for quitters

I have not quit.  A lot of people quit this time of year. I have started 2017 with ‘I’, thereby breaking my own ‘rules’right here.  While every great blog writer it seems has quit this year-my inkwell is still full of uncoagulated blood. I suppose this should mean more room in some invisible Blog-o-Sphere for me, but I am not in some ‘ great ’ category so it only means less inspiration for me (and admittedly a slimy sinking feeling that perhaps I am about to give up). Neverthemore, I am still sitting here typing away, writing things not read, acquiring more debt every waking moment, and stacking up the disappointment of those closest to me. Towering.  The main difference between working at invisible arts every single day and a low paying 'part-time' service job, aside from adding to my invaluable social security would include; precious time away from my (Frmr.) Stray Cat (Editor in Large)-resulting in a serious decline in his treat consumption, a total void of f

What you may not know about Rochambeau

It is a lingua franca, or a universal game, dating back to the Han dynasty of China (206 BC-220 AD), simply called shoushilling (trans. ‘hand command’) and nearly two thousand years later we still play this simple game, called by various names all over the globe.  English speakers call it Roshambo (technically Rochambeau) or “rock-paper-scissors”, “ick-ack-ock”, or even “ching-chang-walla” and is most often played between 2 people in a decision-making challenge, much like drawing straws or plucking daisy petals, but requires no props real props.  While it was introduced to Europeans as late as the 1920’s for its portability and simple instructions, quickly gained popularity for its considered “uncheatable” fairness. In the 1930’s Rochambeau was promoted widely in America, more specifically aimed towards school-age children that could take this game with them where-ever they may be and use it to settle trivial disputes (thereby freeing up the parents/adults need to intercept in t